Thursday, September 01, 2005


Don't we look great? L-R: Ian, Melissa, Katie, Me, Todd. (Back Row) Winter, Matt, Leah, Ben.

Yesterday was a big day. In the space of a few hours, I went from Trainee to fully-sworn Volunteer, left behind my support network of friends and colleagues and then moved to a new city, my home for the next two years. Here is a little re-cap of my day, neatly broken down into little points.

After a frenzy of packing and rushed farewells, right after our banquet lunch, I left my pillow behind in my hotel room. I realized it when we were about 5 minutes away from the hotel, but there was no turning back. I felt pretty silly; on top of being overly emotional at the goodbye in full view of my supervisors and colleague, I then forget--of all things--my pillow. Ah well; i'll get it when i'm in chengdu next. We made a quick call to my PC program manager, and it'll be waiting for me at the PC office. I guess I was distracted when I was leaving...

2. The three-hour drive to Luzhou drive was really pretty, albeit a bit crowded in the car. (There were five of us in a Honda Accord, but my luggage overflowed the trunk into the car itself). This part of Sichuan is lovely; all green, misty mountains, rivers and terraced farms. I saw corn and sheaves of some other grain drying in the sun. That reminded me that now it is September, that it is now fall, and that a whole summer has passed that felt like no time at all. By that I mean that there were no familiar seasonal/summer things; it was as if we were in a vacuum.

3. My living situation currently leaves a lot to be desired. Beyond the nice perks of having high speed internet and a western-style bathroom, my room is tiny, infested with mold, lacking screens on my small window and balcony door and just basically all-around unsatisfactory. This is not up to the standard agreed upon by the PC and the government here. My program manager has already intervened, and I should be moving soon, if all goes well. My foreign affairs director seems very willing to accomodate my needs.

4. Luzhou Medical College is situated in a lovely, sleepy, jungle-like campus on the mountainside overlooking luzhou city. It is not too far or too close to the city center, which is great. Perfect walking distance. Tonight my counterpart teacher in the English department, whose English name is Michelle, walked me about a bit. It is not as spiffy or modern as most of the campuses I saw in Chengdu, but it has a patina to it that I like. Lots of green moss growing on everything--trees, steps, buildings, everywhere. I don't get the sense that i am a crazy novelty on campus, which I think I will appreciate. I don't really have an intense desire to stop traffic. We'll see how things are in the city. There is also a new campus where I'll teach once the freshmen arrive in October that is about a 5-minute bus ride away. I've been told it is very modern; I look forward to seeing it.

5. Spiders. I had been warned that they existed, of an impressive size, in this province. This morning I had my first encounter. I was on the phone with my brothers when I first spotted the big guy, over an inch in diameter and shockingly fast moving. They had the pleasure of living through the experience with me. At this moment, I am keeping an eye on him, but am unable to catch him and so we're at something of a stalemate. As long as he stays far away from my bed, maybe we can work out a peaceful co-existence, at least until I move and have to forge treaties with new resident spiders. This is all going to make me tougher, right?

OK, friends. I am off, to see Luzhou City and hopefully find out what my teaching schedule is. Take care, and I'll try to do the same. Until next time.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good Luck Mary! You sounded stressed today on the phone, i hope your living situation improves for the better, real soon. Finding the big spider didn't help much, he might make sleep a challenge tonight. Maybe you can find a big broom to smash him! xo, John

12:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ps - do you have an official mailing address at the college yet? I need a place to post the care package.

12:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home