Wednesday, August 10, 2005

I have been remiss in my blogging lately; my apologies to all you loyal readers (I know you are legion...)

Well, the honeymoon is over, as expected. I recall writing at the start of my time here that every day was a new amusement. This has now changed to every day presenting a new frustration. You got it--I'm experiencing a touch of culture shock, and so are the rest of my colleagues. In my case, it isn't too serious. It is just amazing, though, to sort of observe myself being bothered by the smallest of things--like when people ride their bikes on the sidewalk (where we walk) instead of in the humongous bike lane. Yes, I am well aware that this is petty and ridiculous. It is also a textbook culture shock symptom and something I expect to pass. So no worries, friends and family! This is perfectly normal and a really good learning experience (it'll build character, right?).

Here is one thing I think about alot. Every time I grumble internally about not having a clothes dryer (in this intense humidity, laundry takes about 2 days to dry), the dearth of ovens in homes and worry over the lack of central heating come winter, I next think immediately that it is probably a good thing they do without the things they do. Air quality is a central concern for China and with more and more people acquiring the accessories that most Westerners are accustomed to (read: energy-hungry appliances, mostly), it gets worse. More appliances basically means more fossil fuels being used and released into the air. I realize this isn't an inspired thought, but it is kind of shocking and a little guilt-inducing to be happy that most of the population lacks amenities that I blissfully took for granted at home. There isn't any stopping the path that the developing world is on to catch up to the developed world. Sooner or later, they will all have their own cars, air conditioners, clothes dryers. I suppose the solution is cleaner energy sources (I know, duh, right?). Sorry to ramble on this way, I just wanted to share these thoughts, because they weren't ones that I necessarily dwelled on much before coming here.

No real news to report. Language study goes on, and as I told my mom, I continue to love the challenge of learning Chinese, even thought it frequently makes my head spin. I'm able to have short conversations, now, and taxi drivers understand me when I give them an address. Baby steps, baby steps... Still no official word on my site placement, but I hope that will come shortly. I've regained my full voice and now hope to stay healthy for a little while, at least... :-) We are experiencing a little mini-typhoon here in Chengdu; an aftershock of the typhoon in Shanghai, I'm told. This means that it has rained for 5 days straight now, and looks to continue. It is nice and cool, though. I even wore a sweater and shoes with socks a few days this week.

OK, I'd better get along now--these details are getting a little mundane...

A HUGE thanks to everyone who has been writing me emails, and sending notes and packages in the mail. Your support has been tremendous, and I appreciate it very very much.

More soon. Until next time, from Chengdu...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home