Happy Labor Day! As it turns out, I had the day off, too. That is, I thought I had class this morning at 8, Oral English for first-year grad students. However, after lesson planning, laboriously ironing my shirt/skirt combo and getting to my class building early, I learned that, oops--class for these students doesn't start til next week. The mistake was my Dean's; he forgot either to tell me about the next week start or tell the students I've arrived and am ready to teach. Ah well. I returned to my room and went back a bed, my lullaby the wonderful sounds of rain falling on the mountainside.
Tomorrow I get to begin again, this time with sophomores (Oral English, its all I teach this term) at 3:00 on the new campus. I'm excited to be started, but nervous for what will come after this week--the rest of the term. During training, we spent copious amounts of time working on lesson plans, but little time on course design. I really hope I'm able to put together a coherent semblance of a syllabus/course outline. I'm drawing heavily on my own recent experience as a college student and language-learner. I should have a better idea of what the needs of the classes are after this week, as I'm conducting a little survey about their history as students of English, their perceived needs and goals, etc.
A note on pictures: I left behind my USB cord for my camera at the last hotel. Luckily, my friend Ben got it safely into the hands of PC staff before he left, and now it is just one more item for me pick up next time I'm in Chengdu (remember my pillow and towel?). Therefore, I can't upload any photos of the last whirlwind weeks. Sorry. I should get them back relatively soon...

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home