Wednesday, June 27, 2007

So many stories to tell...

At our COS (Close of Service) conference in late April, we China PCVs attended a forum with a panel of former Volunteers, who now for various reasons are living in Chengdu. One thing they all agreed on about the experience of returning from Peace Corps to the US is that "no one wants to hear your stories." The way they told it, their friends and family tired very quickly of being regaled by tales of Peace Corps adventures. This was very painful for them, as they had all experienced formative and eventful tours, and most said it was the hardest aspect about returning home.

In my two trips back to the States, however, I haven't felt this to be the case for me. This could be due to various reasons, like: a) I have more receptive-than-normal loved ones in my life, b) I am an above-average storyteller [if it isn't clear, I'm being self-deprecating], or c) China and its people are perhaps more relevant for Americans at this point in history, than say the Kiribati Islanders. That isn't to say that all Peace Corps countries and experiences aren't interesting and relevant; they are. What I mean is that China is front page news every day in the US. A lot is going on here that we, as Americans, are concerned with.

After two years I have a bucketful of stories--trivial, heart-wrenching and hilarious, sometimes all at once. They all are swimming around in my head right now, and if we get a chance to sit down together over drinks or a meal once I'm back in the States, you can be sure you'll hear some, ready or not. In the meantime, here is a little photo journey through what I've been up to in the last few weeks.

It rained the first three weeks of June, swelling the Yangtze River again. Flooding in the southern provinces and southern Sichuan hasn't occurred much here. This barge is carrying coal under the blue tarps.


I've been shopping for souvenirs for you good people at home. Above is a paper-cutting shop, the woman in the center is the proprietor and chief-paper-cutter. At the left is Michael, my friend who is a self-styled playboy.


This retired teacher in was making good use of an old umbrella whilst fishing in the Yangtze one sunny morning Chongqing. When we spoke, he hadn't yet caught anything.


I rode the train south to Zunyi, in Guizhou Province, the two year home of my dear friends Erin & Brian. I had a hard seat, which is the cheapest ticket, in a full car.

The scenery along the way was stunning and not adequately captured here, while moving and through a window. It made the journey more than tolerable.

In Zunyi I went to the orphanage that Erin & Brian (who is above, the tall, white guy) have volunteered at throughout their service. I really admire the great work they do, and had a great time in my Saturday visit.

We took a walk with several of the kids, and along they way they kept stopping to pick wildflowers for us. This little guy was especially decked out.

Coloring time at the orphanage. All the books and crayons came from Erin & Brian, via donation from the US.

My former students, Lulu and Emma, with me in Hejiang where I went on a recent weekend. They graduated this spring.

From Hejiang, we all took this boat (the one at the top of the frame) out to the countryside, to spend the afternoon with Jerry's relatives. I'd been wanting to take a boat ride in China for a long while, and this was my chance.


Safety first! Fashion, a close second.


It was a cool and rainy morning, cruising through lovely, lush countryside.


Tramping through fields to get in to Jerry's uncle's place, one's feet get mighty dirty.

The rice paddy, about three weeks after the rice planting.

Terraced fields, and inexplicably, a stone house in the center, source of local legend.


The sun came out at last that day, lighting up the undulating fields.


After uploading all these photos, I realize I've been busy lately...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home